Saturday, February 26, 2011

JFK Flying Down


An article ran today on the rapper JFK, based out of Seattle, in Earthwalkers Magazine. JFK is one half of the duo Grayskul, alongside Onry Ozzborn (who also has a new album out) and has been doing hip-hop in the Northwest for a long time. I've met him on numerous occasions at concerts and have seen him once or twice feeding his children at restaurants, where I didn't approach him out of basic respect for him and his child. I hope the article lifts his profile among an international audience:

Jeffrey Bautista, best known as JFK (Jeff the Filipino Kid) and nickname, Ninja Face, has been a lasting presence in the Pacific Northwest's hip-hop scene for several years. He started within the Northwest artistic collective, Oldominion, and eventually teamed up with fellow rapper Onry Ozzborn to form the rap duo Grayskul. As Grayskul they toured nationally through the United States and released two albums on the independent hip hop record label, Rhymesayers, based out of Minnesota.

Hip hop has taken him all over the world. He started touring in 1999 and has been throughout Europe, collaborating with artists such as Picos Pardos of Spain.

Performing overseas with artists from varying cultures and regional backgrounds has achieved resonance with JFK. "It's awesome to work with artists outside of the States. It's a good way to promote music that way. I hope to work with more artist oversees," he said. "The best party of touring to me is being able to share your music with people all over the map and being able to travel to cities you've never been to or to revisit other cities."


JFK is also a father and has full time job outside of music. He admits his lifestyle is strenuous and trying. "It's not all fun and games like most would think, just imagine late nights and early morning driving every day out of the week for a month straight. Having to be in a new city every night is very exciting but it's a lot of work."

To put things in perspective, last summer JFK released his solo album, Building Wings On The Way Down. It was time to tell his story.

With a solo effort, JFK said he was able to really let loose with his own persona. "I had an opportunity to tell my story. I had a lot on my chest that I needed to get off and this record was a perfect way to do so. I wanted to make my record in an autobiographic fashion, [with] more storytelling style to get the listener to follow," he said. Songs from Building Wings On The Way Down, retrace significant phases and experiences in JFK's life that have led him to his current state of mind. While working on his solo album, he had the liberty to say what he wanted to say and express himself by sharing experiences that he wasn't able to when he had to share an album with other artists.

As much output as JFK has put with recordings, and he has done a lot, he attests that performing is his first joy. "I love to perform. I like being on stage performing whatever – solo material, group material, I guess I just like the attention. I've worked hard to create music and I love it when it is appreciated." With a masterful flow and verbal linguistic capability, it's no wonder that he likes to show it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment