Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Big K.R.I.T. Feat. Yelawolf – “Happy Birthday Hip-Hop”



Yelawolf has done some great cameos in his come up, with Slaughterhouse, Eminem and Raekwon, among others, but the best chemistry has been with Big K.R.I.T. The two are on a similar wavelength - K.R.I.T. from Mississippi while Yelawolf from Alabama. Both represent the south with heavy accents, a working class family oriented social disposition that makes them a bit tamer than the hustle-or-die rappers of Detroit, NYC or Compton.

This song has some great takeaway lines, especially from Yelawolf:

(Put 'em up) waffle house, 2Pac's rock song
You see I had to dig to find the hieroglyphics
My mama didn't know about Souls of Mischief
See the Bible Belt gave me that holy spirit
But didn't give me rap because I wasn't suppose to hear it

Through K.R.I.T., Yelawolf and similar artists like David Banner (see Banner's great verse on "Sookie Now"), we're introduced not just to a crop of southern rappers that know the reality of the southern United States, where racial division is rooted deeper than most of Mother Nature's plants. There's not as much rage as the urban hip-hop of yore, however, and the picture these guys present seems more like one of the blues.



No comments:

Post a Comment