Saturday, September 14, 2013

Between Positive, Real And Glorification

What you say is very important so one should always mind their words - I was talking with my friend Michael R. Detelj recently about the disclaimer I have on the right side of the website. Michael has a musical project called Details:



The tone is a little bit harsh in the disclaimer - I am saying that negative music that promotes violence is not really welcome on the site:

Blood Is One is always interested in new artists. However, if you want our site to promote you, remember these guidelines: all the music we promote here is positive. We do not endorse anything that glorifies violence, denegrates women or perpetuates ignorance and stereotypes. There are plenty of other sites that sell that sort of music.

  I've been involved in hip-hop at some level for about eleven years - I didn't always listen to conscious rap and I admit to listening to alot of 50 Cent, Busta Rhymes, Wu-Tang Clan, Beanie Sigel, Eminem (and Eminem during his more vulgar period - he has calmed down exponentially now), Tupac and Nas - all artists who glorified violence. However, there was a layer of fantasy world elements to all of that music.

Part of why that disclaimer is up there at all is because, when I first started this website and then with the design that my graphic designer gave me, people associated it with violence. One person even said to me "I don't like the title - I think we've seen enough violence in the inner city." The title is actually taken from a Pharoahe Monch song called "Shine" where he says "Multiple skin tones, the blood is one."


I'm never leaving hip-hop but I prefer to post music and endorse music that is better suited to real life struggles - that is really what I mean by the disclaimer, for any artists that may wondering. I think much of our perception of the world has shifted in recent years - at least as far as hip-hop is concerned. Of all the music I have been given, only some of it has been what could be described as "gangsta rap." It's clearly in the minority.

When we talked, we mentioned Atmosphere, a production and rap duo that actually got really, really popular around 2004 or so and then just petered out. Atmosphere is still around and rapper Slug is still himself. Here's a good effort just produced and featuring Brother Ali:

 

 Depression, mass shootings, Paul Wellstone, incarceration all mentioned in one song - not the prettiest stuff at all but not glorifying. The music of Details is also obviously not totally positive - depression and family drama are serious things but they are real things. That is exactly the sort of thing I prefer to have on this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment